Wednesday, November 23, 2011

#youmightbeanautismparentif

Bookmark and Share
Something utterly wonderful happened this week on Twitter. A hashtag was created:

It's been called cathartic, sad, touching, awesome, wonderful, funny... and mostly so TRUE.  As parents with children on the spectrum come together to share succinct messages  about what it really means to have an autistic child. Because time prevents a long, drawn out post (day before Thanksgiving and all), I've snipped a few of my many favorite posts and some of my own insights on what its like to have an autistic child. Each of these tweets are worthy of their own posts... actually, every tweet with this hashtag deserves an post.













I feel so blessed and thankful at this moment... words cannot describe what this hashtag has done for me. I wish I could hug every single one these #youmightbeanautismparentif tweeps. They get it. They really, really get it. It's an invaluable topic that I believe is not going to go away any time soon.

When I think that less than fifty years ago people didn't talk about autism. Parents were told to put their kids away for life and to try again... as if autistic children were defective products recalled by a company. I wonder if the first advocates of autism, the first generation of parents to speak out could have ever envisioned what happened this week?

I'm giving my thanks tomorrow to the first few that said "Autism isn't a death sentence", despite society's view (a society who had the approval of the medical and psychiatric community).


1 comment:

AutismWonderland said...

Great post! I love all the new people I'm connecting with and it's inspiring to know that we have a forum to share our thoughts, joys, fears and expectations!