Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Pooping Brain

Bookmark and Share
We are at the two week mark. On the 19th, my husband gets to have life-saving, or perhaps quality of life-saving surgery to fix the issue of his hind-brain pooping itself into his spinal canal, mostly. Who knew that 7 months ago, when I started this absurd blog to add more comedy into our lives that it would sorta sum up our family's biggest issue since the whole Cape School District went all Lifetime movie on us?

The greatest thing about my husband's rare, congenital medical condition is that its a rare congenital medical condition. Most doctors only read about it in text books. Google has only 381,000 results when you search the term Chiari Malformation. To give an comparison, Cancer garners 345,000,000 hits. Specific cancers results are still in the millions. If you google my husband's specific for of Chiari there are a meager 7,690 hits.

Trying to explain the whole kit and caboodle to people is difficult. My husband doesn't look sick. He doesn't sound sick. Unless you live with him, you won't notice that he has trouble finding the right words to express his thoughts and slurs them ever so slightly. You don't realize that if he lays his head back too far, he sorta just passes out. You don't see him in moments of dizziness or mental fogs. And he won't tell you about the pain that makes the simplest things difficult-- like getting out of bed or getting out of the car. The symptoms of Chiari Malformations are subtle and most cases can be managed non-surgically, except with the type that is progressive-- his type. That's the kind normally discovered during autopsy.

I'm not sure if the rareness is because its uncommon or that it's subtly means doctors miss it. It's only diagnosed by MRI, ya know, where they see the brain kinda in the wrong place. The way its diagnosed means that before MRI, you were kinda outta luck and therefore, studies on live patients was near impossible. On top of this, there is no recognized or accepted course of treatment...or rather, there is no particular protocol for treatment. Thus, treatment recommendations can vary widely from doctor to doctor.

It gets better: Of patients that have surgery, only 53% are successful and don't need additional surgeries. The rest need surgeries to fine tune or add to the original surgery. This is neither astounding or comforting, except that the surgery will keep my husband's brain from killing him at worst and destroying his neurological function at best.

The one thing that I can say is that if you have a rare condition, every doctor, nurse and tech that treats you gets a medical boner. My husband is officially a rockstar patient that has essentially livened up medical careers of a dozen or so people in the medical field. This is not a bad side-effect of his condition. It's actually reassuring that he is on the mind of everyone on his treatment team-- from his internist to his neurosurgeon, everyone is on the same page. Normally coordination of care is something a patient has to advocate for himself, but not in my husband's case. The medical world of slower, lower Delaware is falling all over him.

Even the kid's neurologist went the extra mile with us at my boy's last med check. Dr. Genius-Awesome-Pants took time out to discuss my husband's surgery and reassure us everything would be a-okay. I know that if I have a question and can't get in touch with any other doctor, Dr. Genius-Awesome-Pants will be there to help.

His words helped the other day:

"You've got a great doctor who knows what he's doing. The surgery is more common than you'd think. With this, they aren't poking around in your actual brain. They do the decompression and fix the covering over the brain, and that's that. It's not like grabbing a tumor where one wrong move damages you. It's structural and the only big risk is infection, barring that, you'll do fine. The youngest patient I've had with Chiair surgery was three and she's 100% recovered now". 
An example of the incision aka "zipper"
Don't know what happened to this photo-- sorry
to whomever I borrowed it from if I did so without credit!! Opps.
Feel free to contact me for my apologies.


Not only was it important for the kid to hear, it meant a lot for us parents. Of course we are worried. It's not like getting your tonsils out. I fell in love with my husband's brain, so I don't want it to change. I just want him to live, have a quality life without pain, and live happily ever after.  I want to laugh every time he uses brain damage as an excuse for doing something stupid, without the "what if" factor. I don't want his brain to poop out of his skull anymore.

We have two weeks until the surgery. We have a world of support and are busy making the preparations for all scenarios. My sister is coming Monday so I can breath a little easier. I can run away when I need to, I can have support when I've calmed everyone's fears.

Another example
Two more weeks until my husband becomes a "zipperhead".

I am updating this to add my husband's actual zipperhead scar. Please feel free to share this image with others to spread Chiari Awareness. This was my purpose in writing this post, along with processing this surprise that turned our family inside out.

His scar is smaller and not zipper-like at all. I don't know if it was done endoscopicly or if my husband's skin was more pliable due to his dramatic weight loss. I do know that he has sutures underneath his skin that extend about eight inches. These have not dissolved yet, so he is still healing and recovering. Life with Chiari is certainly different, but at least it is life. Here is Dr. Sugarman's handy-work:

Regular
With a diagram!!





If you'd like to use you either photo in your own blog, share it with friends and family or show to anyone else you think is fabulous or anyone needing an awareness education, feel free to distribute, but please, no alterations.

No comments: